Saturday, November 2, 2013

It's Been Such A Long Time... I Think I Should Be Going

"It's been such a long time
I think I should be goin', yeah
And time doesn't wait for me, it keeps on rollin'
Sail on, on a distant highway
I've got to keep on chasin' a dream
I've gotta be on my way
Wish there was something I could say..." -Boston

With me, there's always something to say.

December 30, 2013 will mark 3,964 days that I have been a resident in the State of Maryland.  And while that doesn't sound overly significant, it truly is for me. Because on day 3,965, I won't be. The chapter in my life that is officially and simply named "Maryland", will blissfully come to an end. It started on a whim and is ending like the movie Princess Bride. (Sans the horses, just some horsepower).

When I moved here, I was five days short of turning 23 years-old. I had no idea what it meant to live in a city, in an apartment or wear a suit. Wine was foreign and what the heck is Old Bay? I bumbled my way through at no short of 100mph. I moved around, found a job or three more and before I knew it found myself a mother on day 919.

1,000 days later and I had another new job, a first house and a second baby. That's how I roll as most everyone knows- just pile it all on at once that way the pain is more like pulling a hair out, versus stubbing a toe.

3,113 of my days have revolved around non-profits; a career path that no one can warn you enough about. Don't take that the wrong way. I am completely fulfilled working in this challenging field. I truly feel that I have contributed to the success of others. Philanthropy has let me grow professionally and make me want to one day give back the way that I watched my donors do selflessly, humbly, gladly. I have networked and befriended some of the best people I have ever had the pleasure to meet. I have met homeless men, million dollar Annapolitans and every walk of life in between. They have all taught me a lesson.

The friends I have made in Maryland have become my family. I have a Maryland Mom, a gaggle of Chesapeake sisters, brothers and colleagues that have made me feel welcome and show me the ropes. They have been the ones that I have spent countless hours with. Without them, there would have been zero chance I would have made it this long in Maryland.

I have the pleasure to start the next chapter my life with a man who is very close to my heart. Life has a funny way of crossing paths. Ours first crossed over 15 years ago when I became best friends with his sister at a little state college in Vermont. As life moved along, so did we; both shaping and molding our lives the way we thought they should go. Like it was meant to, our lives happened to cross again. This time we knew that now, this time, was the right time to make our paths become one. He's patient, strong, funny and kind. He's willing to fight for what he knows is right. He loves my crazy. Did I mention he's patient?

So, around day 3,965 the chapter will be complete. I will load up my things, including the two most important memories of Maryland- my two precious boys, and sail off on a highway southbound to Raleigh, North Carolina to start life anew. What happens next? I'll let you know. But it will be good. Damn good.


No comments:

Post a Comment